Saturday, August 18, 2012

You need to be independent - JoAnna Colasito

Click this below link to leave a comment, complaint, or whatever !
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3005749674308406355&postID=2877937859431773992

You need to be independent - JoAnna Colasito
I'm a bit spoiled....
I'm trained by the best....
I'm truly value the gifts that I've been given access to...
Ashee, Amen.

I've found that a scheduled incremental investment in training / education / understanding can aid the movement from "Ashy to Classy" (Obvious Biggie Smalls reference - He's the illest'). So I ensure that I get some form of weekly spiritual educational experience such as church, Bible study class, World Religion studies, or meditation. I do the same musically, with 'Conscious Enlightenment', and in the area of self-motivation. I also ensure that I attend a seminar, workshop, webinar, and the like to improve my lines of business. Recently I attended a seminar provided by my home World Financial Group office focused upon taking "Charge of your business." I entered the room ready to rock, I left the room charged !

Our presenter was JoAnna Colasito. She has built one of the most impressive businesses I've ever been exposed to. Her message was deceptively simple. "You can never become a leader if you keep letting people take care of you."............................... I was done. I was floored. In one sentence she laid out the main difficulty I have struggled with in my profession in the Human Services field. As a school counselor I struggled to get the students to recognize their power and responsibility in obtaining their education. I also struggled with attempting to guide educational professionals to recognize their power and responsibility in managing their classes and emotions as they guide our students. I have certainly struggled with parents who wanted the schools to 'fix' their children or wanted the schools to accept the nonsense from their children that they permitted. In all these cases guiding others into greater responsibility was the key. Folk had to take charge of business. I instantly connected this statement to the problems of the inner city as well as the problems in dependence on government that has stifled people of African and Indian descent in America. I was going deep until minutes later JoAnna simply stated "You need to be independent before you achieve independence."

FLOORED AGAIN ! That statement channeled Dr. John Henrik Clarke, The Honorable Elijah Muhammad, Marcus Garvey, Madam C. J Walker, Rush Limbaugh, and possibly even Sean Hannity in one fell swoop. After a while I was able to leave the weight of her insight scribbled on my handy-dandy notebook alone and follow the remaining guidance in her presentation. I walked out of the session with three pages of 'copious notes'. The next day I reviewed my notes over a brisk coffee and allowed the message to imbue itself into my life. I later met with a client and shared with her "You have to claim your independence from difficulty. You need to stop spending money on entertainment and fund your emergency fund. Starbucks, McDonalds, and the club will never save you when Murphy's law hits you. You got in this mess when you didn't know better. Now that you know better, do better. It's time to graduate into better things."

I want all of us to move towards independence. My senior partner Michael French's blog ( http://mwfrenchfinancial.wordpress.com/) states "Many people say that their dream is unreachable because it cost too much.  What a sad excuse to give up on your dreams.  When you look at a little kid that wants a toy, they do not stop until they have it or are punished, by their parents, for throwing a temper-tantrum.  They are willing, at that time, to give their life for their dream toy." We can begin that movement to independence once we develop the child-like tenacity that Mike spoke of. The path to your dreams begins with a step towards independence.

If you don't have an emergency fund, make that step towards independence. Independently suspend your investment into others financial success. All of those places in the mall and restaurants and clubs will be waiting for you once you return to them with a fully funded emergency fund. Take a temporary fast from spending money on entertainment, food, and things that will not support you if you find yourself in need of money. I often tell my clients "Once you have an emergency fund you (will) stop having emergencies. You'll start have some situations, but your emergency fund will pay for those situations." I recently shared with a client who just graduated from High School "Think back...... The only people who were bullied were the punks who wouldn't or couldn't stick up for themselves. They all needed someone to stop the bullies for them. That's how life is. Once you have a funded emergency fund you'll find that life can't easily punk you." She laughed and planned to open an emergency fund that day following the plan I provided for her. She didn't want to follow the lead of her mother who lived paycheck to paycheck and was always in a bind when something happened. This former student didn't like it when I said "It's your mother's fault, she's not taking charge of her life and preparing for problems. She's a slave to emergencies and doesn't act like she wants to be free." At the end of our session she was determined to be the leader her parents, family, school teachers, church members, and community haven't been. She wanted independence. I gave the a map. I look forward to watching her move towards independence. Question....... What's up with you ?

I'd love to hear what you think. Holla' at cha' scholar (leave a comment). I always give complimentary sessions to recent graduates. If you or anyone you know can benefit from financial guidance, contact me !

As Michael French says "If you do not have a personal financial advisor, get one. PERIOD! I will refer you to a Financial Advisor in your area, or I will help you personally. Do not ever give up on your dream. Fight until you realize it or they bury you in the ground."  - Asante Sana JoAnna, Asante Sana Michael !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's be improved ! Seko Varner is from Positive Vibes Financial, a World Financial Group team of financial services agents. This team began in 2010 and is coached by WFG's Team Unstoppable. Seko also has ownership in and works with Positive Vibes DJs and the event marketing service Happily Ever After.Be. Seko has a background in counseling and special education. He was employed for 14 years with Portsmouth City Public Schools (Virginia) as a counselor and as a teacher. Seko has also worked as an Intensive In-Home Counselor for over 10 years. In addition to his business ventures Seko is active with numerous Youth Mentorship programs and has a background in radio and television media. Visit www.HappilyEverAfter.Be for more details.

Click this below link to leave a comment, complaint, or whatever !
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3005749674308406355&postID=2877937859431773992

No comments:

Post a Comment