Monday, April 29, 2013

Barbie gets and Afro (From Black Mother's Blog)

http://www.blackparentingblog.com/2011/12/24/barbie-gets-an-afro-for-christmas/

Barbie Gets An Afro For Christmas


I love this. I read it a few weeks ago and I have been meaning to post it here … Barbie’s getting an afro for Christmas! A natural hair group in Georgia will give out 40 Barbie dolls with afro textured hair to little girls in the community.

One of the group members, Candace McBridge discovered an online demo on how to develop natural looking hair for dolls with items like pipe cleaners and boiling water.
Jennifer Henderson, a member of the natural hair group and mother of a 2-year-old girl, told the Ledger-Enquirer: “We wanted to show the girls that basically, it’s okay the way God made you.”
This reminds me of a two things … the Dark Girls Documentary and another post Black Children and Self Image including the Girl Like me documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment